A message to Parliament from mediawatch-uk
· SWITCHING OFF CHANGES NOTHING.
· For too long the broadcasting authorities have failed to secure that programmes do not cause harm or offence to the viewing public.
· The Communications Bill is a rare opportunity to make things better.
· Viewers and listeners look to their elected representatives to safeguard their interests against the interests of the powerful media industry.
· We fear that light touch flexible self-regulation will lead to 'lowest common denominator' standards that will irreparably damage our culture and society.
· PLEASE DON'T LET US DOWN.
ITV Teletext Viewer's Polls indicate overwhelming dismay:
· 11/05/2002 viewers were asked: DO TV SOAPS NEED A CLEAN-UP? 92% said YES!
· 21/05/2001 viewers were asked: ARE YOU SICK OF TV SLEAZE? 98% said YES!
· On BBC TV's 'Heaven and Earth Show' (20/05/2001) viewers were asked:
IS SOCIETY BEING CORRUPTED BY THE MEDIA? 92% said YES!
The present regulators are clearly failing to address the widespread concern about TV programming.
SPONSORSHIP NEEDED, DONATIONS WELCOME.